Skip to main content

the alerts and orientations


Shift #3
One important bit of information that you always give another nurse or provider at shift change is how alert and oriented the patients are. 
Do they wake up when I speak to them?
Do they respond?
Do they answer my question correctly? 

Sometimes the patient will be almost half dead and will still be able to grimace at who the president of the United States is. 

Most Covid patients are alert and oriented to person, place, and time (AOx3). Then they will lose the sense of time..AOx2. Then will become agitated, forgetful, confused. 
Today was a constant battle with patients wanting to rip every connection or extension off of themselves. I overheard one nurse say, "If you take your oxygen off, you will die!" 
The patient arrested 2 hours later and died. One patient fell because she was forgetful and confused. With all of the room doors closed, how can we monitor if they fall, rip off cords, or extensions of themselves? 
Today I had a patient with metastasized esophageal cancer and COVID. A nasogastric tube was in place. I started the dense calorie feeds through the tube, and he ripped it half way out while the feeds were still going. The patient aspirated, causing an even bigger problem. They tell us, "You shouldn't have to go in the room so much" but I tell you I did not feel right about my patient. How am I supposed to protect my patients and only go into their rooms only 4 times a shift.  It is unsafe and impractical. 

Today throughout the day, I was able to laugh some. I truly believe that my time during Covid would be worse if I did not have people praying for me. But I still feel guilty. With each laugh from a joke, scowl when the phone rings from a family member, or complaint about how hard it is -- I feel guilty. 


This is what I see every time I retrieve a piece of PPE. I read this quote and become more alert and oriented to my surroundings and the new normalcy of being a COVID19 nurse. 

Comments

  1. Keep writing, love. The blank page is not in the same place, as are your coworkers: it is a perfect, impartial canvas to vent, complain, express all you are feeling. As I have said before, I think of you every day.
    - Janice McLain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I am so glad you are a nurse. You have such compassion for your patients. I am so sorry for you, all health care workers and for our nation having to deal with this deadly disease, Please feel the strength and love I send to you and all of your co-workers. I pray you have the supplies to keep you healthy as these patients as well as your friends and family need you. Love, Susan Barthelemy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Light and Dark

Three Shifts There is something unique about working three days in a row as a nurse. I enter this vortex and often ask questions like "did I give this medication already? or was that yesterday?" The best part about working three days in a row is I build relationships with my patients for three days. I believe that God gave me a mental break when I worked my three shifts. My patients were stable. All six (yes, I know what you're thinking too. I had to protect and advocate for SIX patients with COVID) of my patients progressed over the span of 3 days. I got to witness the clinical trial Remdesivir be administered and make people feel better when Plaquenil was not working. I clapped when patients were being discharged. I did a victory dance at the nurses station when my patient safely weaned off the non-rebreather mask to a nasal cannula of 6 liters to then 4 liters. This is why I became a nurse. I get my energy by not only helping people but by making them feel good. I tho

A Time to Leave

I am moving to Jacksonville August 24th. Originally, numerous emotions of self-doubt and excitement came up for me, but now, I mostly feel victorious and triumphant.  Triumphant For a long time I thought I had to live in New York for an extended period to prove myself. When I told some friends about my decision to move, one jokingly said, “New York was just too much for ya, huh?” I thought hard about that question. Was this city too much for me? That’s when my insecurity popped up but I’ve learned to acknowledge that when it happens. I thought “No, that is not true. I gave my all to New York. I am New York Tough. But I am not New York.” With Covid, I was there for patient #1 and for the last one. I still showed up for my team and my patients. I feel victorious leaving rather than a failure. I can and did make it in NYC. But with every place, there is a time to stay and a time to leave. This is my time to move forward.  Resources  Battling COVID I learned more than ever before